We have learned so much from world’s financial experts on how to manage our finances. Yet the world is in financial crisis not only individuals but governments
as well. What is shocking, not only poor countries are in financial trouble but rich countries included, like countries in Europe. United States of America is not an exception. It was once considered the richest country in the world, but now the number one debtor-country in the world with a total staggering debt of more than 16.5 trillion dollars and counting. According to an expert, to count the said amount of money at one dollar every second, it would take about a million years. The question is why is this happening in our world today? Is this because we do not follow God’s way of managing our finances?
To answer to the above question let us look at God’s way of managing our finances in five - part series:1st part, “Causes of Financial Trouble”; 2nd part, “Signs of Financial Trouble”; 3rd part, “How to Avoid Financial Crises”; 4th part, “Nine Steps Out of Financial Crisis”; and 5th part, “Difference Between Man’s Way and God’s Way of Managing Personal Finances”. After you read them all, you can answer the above question yourself.
Differences Between Man’s Way and God’s Way of Managing Personal Finances:
Psalm 24:1 says, “The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.” Man’s way is to keep 100% of his income, and spend it the way he wants to without regard that God owns everything including his life.
The above passage clearly demonstrates that God owns everything, as He is the creator of heaven, earth including living and non-living things. God provides man’s basic necessities of life like: food, water, air to breath, energy, and talents to enable him to earn a living to mention just a few. The ultimate proof that man (humanity) does not own his life - he has no control over death, for God is in control. Man dies anytime as God wishes. Genesis 3:19 says, “… for dust you are and to dust you will return.”
God did not just put man on earth to acquire knowledge, to accumulate wealth, to establish a family and then die. His purpose is for humanity to live forever. But because of sin committed by Adam and Eve, they died and all humanity dies for the Bible says, “the wages of sin is death,” the reason everyone dies for humanity came from the mortal bodies of Adam and Eve.
To rescue humanity from eternal death, God the Father sent His only begotten Son Jesus Christ as the Savior for those who accept Him in their heart (faith). John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes (has faith) in Him should have not perish but have everlasting life.”
Since our physical life on earth is just temporary and God wants everyone be given the opportunity to know His plan of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ. Thus, in the Great Commission Jesus commanded His disciples (followers) in Matthew 28:19-20:”Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Therefore, God’s way, of managing our personal finances is 10% of our income is to give (return) it to the church where you worship which is called “tithe” to finance God’s Great Commission, the primary purpose of the church. The remaining 90% of your income, God entrusted it to you (as a steward) for your needs. Since it is only entrusted to you, you have to spend it wisely, that is on things that you need, not wants or on worldly pleasure and save the rest for “rainy days” so to speak.
Considering that God provides you everything (all resources like: life, talent, energy, health) to generate income, and entrusted you 90% of your total income, and only 10% to God, is it not a great deal? When you are faithful in returning the 10% to God, He promises to bless you. The blessings are not necessarily material wealth but it includes, spiritual blessings, peace of mind, good health and many more.
Look at Malachi 3:8-10, “Will a man rob God… in tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse for you have robbed Me. Even this whole nation. Bring the whole tithes into the storehouse (the church), that there maybe food in my house. Test me on this,” says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the flood gates of heaven and pour so much blessings that you will not have room enough for it.”
This completes the five – part series on God’s Way of Managing Our Finances. You may now want to answer the about question: why the world is in financial crisis not only individuals but also governments including rich countries?
Do you think this world financial crises is brought about by managing our finances Man’s Way instead of God’s Way? If so, is it about time for us to manage our finances God’s Way?